The new Workbench has Landed! (Mostly)

So I’ve been hankering after a bigger workbench in the man cave for a little while, and the time has finally come! I did some designs in Visio, which came out with two diagrams. One for the Workbench top, and one for the frame.

WorkBench

With those drawing done, and superimposed on my man cave floor layout and some fine-tuning, I was finally ready to order my metal. Andy from CadCut came through with a great deal on the top, a 10mm thick piece of steel!

To keep cost down, I opted to have the top cut from a single 3000mm x 1500mm x 10mm Mild Steel plate. This weighs in at about 350kg, though with some small pieces removed, we got it down to about 300kg. That’s nearly a third of a ton of steel just in the top!

A sturdy frame was essential, so the design is all about strength. A few calls around, and I discovered the 75x75x3 box I had planned to use wasn’t easily available, so I went for 80x80x3 box for the uprights, and 50x50x3 for the rest. There are some little off-shoots that duck round the pillars in the man cave, which were just about using the space effectively and the sheet steel also.

WorkBench-Final

So, on Wednesday morning I had a 7.30AM workout hefting the steel plate into the man cave;

2014-09-03 07.38.23 (Medium)

And this morning I was at my friend Kevin’s at 8am to get the box section cut on his bandsaw. He had very kindly ordered my steel box section on his account with Fred R Powell & Son Ltd and let me use his hefty bandsaw.

2014-09-07 10.36.32 (Medium)

Guess all that’s left to do now is to weld this bad-boy all together!

2014-09-07 14.16.19 (Medium)

So this is the upper part of the frame built, now for the other half. (Took me about 2.5hrs to get to this point)

2014-09-07 15.48.22 (Medium)

And there’s the other half. Now to lug all the stuff out of the man cave so the frame can be slotted in…

2014-09-07 15.48.24 (Medium)

In the corner you can see the old workbench, this came from the man cave at the old house, and belonged to my Maternal Grandfather Roy Davenport.

2014-09-07 15.48.30 (Medium)

One half slotted in nicely…

2014-09-07 16.45.09 (Medium)

And then the other! Total work time around 5 hours to get here, and I’m knackered. The rest can wait till another day! Need to schedule some man power to help lift the lid on!

– Update Sunday 14th –

So this weekend I squared off the frame, welded on the wall supports and then with the help of my glamorous assistant, we managed to lift the main plates on without major injury!

2014-09-14 13.34.52 (Medium)

Next step was to weld them into place, then move everything back in again!

2014-09-14 16.34.35 (Medium)

Now the next project involves getting some of the stuff under the bench into the attic or cellar. Then a lick of paint, and I can look at adjusting the electrics.

Posted in Uncategorized


Leave a Reply


Powered by WordPress. Designed by Försäkra Online.