Record 10″ G-Clamp Restoration

Well, with a successful visit to the Trench Lane Car Boot this morning, I picked up a 10″ Record G-Clamp for the princely sum of £3! It’s a little twisted, but I’ve decided not to attempt to fix this as it’s not too bad.

2014-08-24 13.45.16 (Medium)

I forgot to take a “before” picture, but this side-by-side picture shows how rusty it was.

Stamped on the inside of the jaw is “J Dept” – presumably Joinery Department!

Anyway, after an hour or two’s work with a wire brush on the grinder and the smaller flexible head multi tool (a Dremel knock-off by B&Q which I bought for the last project!) we were left with a broken down clamp looking like this:

2014-08-24 15.45.06 (Medium)

Ready for paint, and the screw and “foot” ready for oiling and re-assembly. There’s a fresh roll-pin as the pin had to be cut off (It had clearly been riveted in place)

2014-08-24 15.45.14 (Medium)

And here we are with the first coat of paint;

2014-08-24 18.08.08 (Medium)

2014-08-24 18.13.03 (Medium)

As you can see, I have a number of Record Vices in my workshop, the two restored, big vices are sat in my cellar awaiting my new Man Cave workbench, which is coming soon!

2014-08-25 16.44.03 (Medium)

Here it’s been painted both sides with a direct to metal Hammerite Smooth Blue which is the same as I used on the Record No 6 Vice. I’ve only used a single coat, as that seems to be plenty. The screw was oiled with some 3-in-1 Oil and then screwed into the body of the clamp. The foot was hammered back into place (I had heated it, and struck it off with a drift to get it apart) and then a new roll-pin was pressed into the T-Handle piece which was slotted onto the end.

Hopefully this new clamp will give years of good use, and all for the princely sum of just £3! Bonzer. I shall be keeping my eyes open for more clamps in the future!

Posted in Proper Tools, The Man Cave


Leave a Reply


Powered by WordPress. Designed by Försäkra Online.